Originally built at a cost of £10,850, the historic Rangiora Town Hall opened on 27 May 1926 as Everybody’s Cinema: the first cinema screen in Canterbury, seating 600. The main hall showing moving pictures, and live performances.
In 1931, the name changed to the Regent Theatre and over the following years the building went through a number of alterations.
Following the Feb 2011 earthquake, the building underwent a complete makeover. The beautifully refurbished and restored Town Hall complex has re-emerged with not only a fully restored auditorium, but also three state-of-the-art digital cinemas.